Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Moving on













Hi All!

As you might have found on the Timber Framers Guild website, the project in Poland has wrapped up. Most of the crew flew back on Friday. I helped a little with bundling the last pieces and grouping everything under a couple of our tents. There the frame awaits transport to Warsaw. This will happen in about two months, when there is a window of opportunity ( almost literally ) to move the parts into the museum building. There the pieces will be stacked yet again to await the final install in it's location.
We have been told about how the exhibit will work all around it, and here's the gist of it:
The roof and painted ceiling will be put together on the ground, much like we started to do in Sanok. Once complete with shingles and all it will be hoisted up into a hole in the floor between the basement and the ground floor. So the ceiling will be visible from below. One can wander underneath it and will hear soft sounds of chanted liturgy. The top of the frame will be visible from the public space on the ground floor. The roof will not completely cover the frame, so that the beautiful and complex work will be visible.
I can't wait to go see it! The opening is scheduled for the middle of 2013.

Since I have made many good friends in Poland, and they are hosting the European Cup - in Soccer for all those that are illiterate in such things :) - together with Ukraine I am seriously thinking about coming back for a visit next year. Any body unafraid of the Wild East should check their calendar and tag along.

I had an exceptional time. Learned a boatload, about hewing, teaching and being in charge. I have never seen so many smiles on and around a job site, ever. The crew and students were incredible people and a pleasure to work with and hang out and party with. It seems natural looking back, but it is not a thing of luck. Everyone stayed aware of the others around them and gave space or encouragement when needed. Thank you to all of them.
I cannot count the times that I have received encouragement and praise, and it made me work harder to feel for myself that I deserve it. The boost of confidence is incredible.

I am writing this post from the couch in my sister Sandy's living room. For the past three days I have felt almost jet lagged, even though I haven't left the time zone. This might be the toll to pay for the great times in Sanok clubs in the last few weeks. The only reason I haven't written much about these great times, is that that kind of behavior did not leave much time for internet time.
I am coming back up for air, only two little ones to be entertained, my niece Pia and little Marc. Sandy and Ralf have bought a house, and I am being put to work right away to keep me out of trouble. And there's nothing like insulating a stuffy attic to keep me humble like I said I like to be.

Bavarian beer is as good as expected. Just in case any one wondered.

No comments:

Post a Comment